The Queen Adelaide Room
The Queen Adelaide Room is primarily used for receptions and other functions hosted by the City. The room was named in 1953 before Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II visited Adelaide in 1954 when she presented a portrait of Queen Adelaide, on permanent loan. The portrait shows Queen Adelaide aged 57 years, and hangs in the room. The room has been used to display memorabilia of Queen Adelaide and her era.
Incorporated as part of the Town Hall, this room is shown on the original plans as the “Exchange” room. It has been altered and refurbished a number of times, most recently in 1983, when the room was returned to its original size.
There are several Regency period display cases in this room. In one of these is a portion of Queen Adelaide’s dinner service of Copeland porcelain and bearing her cipher. This cabinet also contains gold cutlery, a wine glass, a prayer book and one of her diaries, (written in German), coverings the period 1830 to 1831. In the other cabinets are some items of clothing and jewellery, and other items from the Victorian era and books from her library. On the walls are a number of portraits of Queen Adelaide. Many of these items were presented by the late Queen Mary.
Also on display is a large quilt with rose motifs knitted for Queen Adelaide by the women of Saxe-Meiningen (Queen Adelaide’s home town) in about 1840. Each rose motif was knitted by a different person. There is also a cushion cover with a floral design that was hand-worked by Queen Adelaide.
If you would like to view the Queen Adelaide room in person book in for a tour held every Monday.