The Council Chamber was not part of the original Town Hall construction and instead it was an addition to the building which began in 1882 and opened in 1884.
The Council Chamber is used for meetings of Council and for other formal special occasions including Australian Citizenship ceremonies and receptions for visiting dignitaries.
The chamber contains many original items including the Councillors’ armchairs which are more than 140 years old! Furniture in the room was designed by Edmund Wright and made from red Cedar and Blackwood. The Chandelier is made of French Crystal and was originally gas lit. in 1912 it was changed to electric.