The Albert Tower which spans the pavement at the front entrance to the Town hall was named in memory of Queen Victoria’s husband Prince Albert.
The structure is capped by a lantern-dome where the bells hang, and it stands 44 metres high. The foundation stone of the Albert Tower was laid by the then Mayor, Samuel Goode on 13 January 1864.
The tower was the only civic building outside England to house a full peal of eight bells, which are also named in honour of Prince Albert.
The town hall clock was installed in 1935 when Sir J. Lavington Bonython, a former Lord Mayor, donated a clock. The three faces of the clock face north, south, and west.