No sooner had the Town Hall been officially opened than the campaign began to obtain a pipe organ to grace the main chamber.
In 1875 Council ordered an organ from London by manufacturers William Hill & Son which arrived by ship at Port Adelaide in 1877.
Council voted to replace the original century-old pipe organ in 1989. The new Town Hall Organ was built in Brandon, Suffolk, England by J.W. Walker & Sons and was installed in 1990.
The J.W. Walker organ was the largest mechanical-action instrument to have been built in the United Kingdom for 100 years. It has 61 stops distributed over four keyboards and 4,500 handmade pipes.